WHAT WE DO
The Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Program provides trauma-informed care to individuals who have experienced sexual assault and/or abuse by an intimate partner. We work together with other community services to offer healthcare, emotional support, practical help and legal assistance.
Our team of specially trained nurses are available 24 hours a day through the Emergency Department at Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) for anyone who has recently been sexually assaulted or assaulted by an intimate partner. In the case where the assault took place more than two weeks ago, we can schedule a visit in our clinic.
The team provides:
Emergency and follow-up medical care
Crisis emotional support
Planning for safety for you and your family
Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy
Collection of evidence that could be used in a criminal investigation (or while a decision is made to report)
Assessment for non-visible injury after strangulation
Arrangements to talk to police, if you wish
None of these things will occur without your consent. Our nurses can give you the information you need to make the decisions that are right for you.
Our program includes social workers who provide counselling for individuals who have experienced sexual abuse, assault or domestic violence recently or in the past. Call the Women’s Health Care Centre at (705) 743-4132 or 1-800-419-3111 for more information.
The Domestic Violence Response Team can give you the information you need to make the decisions that are right for you. We work together with other community services to offer emotional support and assistance through the legal process. We have a full-time domestic violence follow-up nurse available for safety planning and assistance with referrals.
Sexual assault domestic violence handouts:
Additional support resources:
- A video series and website developed locally for survivors of sexual violence and the people who are supporting them for guidance through community-based and legal options available.
24 hour crisis lines and services:
- Kawartha Sexual Assault Centre (KSAC) 24-7 Crisis Line 1-866-298-7778 or text 705-710-5234
- Or webchat at www.KawarthaSexualAssaultCentre.com
- Ontario victim services 24-hour support line 1-888-579-2888
- TALK 4 HEALING Culturally grounded helpline for Indigenous women 1-888-200-9997
- Male survivors support line 1-866-887-0015
Domestic Violence services and shelters
- YWCA Peterborough Haliburton 24-hour support line 1-800-461-7656 or text 705-991-0110
- Cornerstone Northumberland 24-hour support line 905-372-0746 or text 289-210-4774 (6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.)
- Or webchat at https://cornerstonenorthumberland.ca/connect/ (6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.)
- Women’s Resources Lindsay 24-hour support line 1-800-565-5350
For services outside of the regions served by Peterborough Regional Health Centre, please contact:
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline (TTY, multiple languages): 1-888-957-5517 or text #SAFE (#7233)
- FEM’AIDE Ligne de soutien pour femmes violentées (French): 1-877-336-2433
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres: 1-855-NAV-SADV (1-855-628-7238) or https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca
- Seniors’ Safety Line: 1-866-299-1011
- Ontario 211 Community and Social Services helpline: call 211 or 211ontario.ca