What We Offer
Many of us have been touched by cancer. The Cancer Care team at Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) is here for you and your family if and when you need us.
Cancer Care is one of three (3) Regional Centres of Excellence at PRHC. As a part of the Central East Regional Cancer Program ,we deliver top quality cancer care, right here at home, to more than 100,000 families in Peterborough and the surrounding area.
We treat breast cancer (male and female), gastrointestinal cancer (esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum, liver, and pancreas), genitourinary cancer (prostate, testis, kidney and bladder), gynaecological cancer (ovaries, cervix, uterus and vulva), hematology (lymphomas), melanoma, skin cancer and thoracic cancer (lung and chest).
Cancer Care also offers a full range of services:
Prevention and Screening
Treatment – radiation, chemotherapy and biotherapeutics
Life After Treatment
WHO WE ARE
At PRHC, the Cancer Care team provides an interprofessional approach to the assessment, treatment, follow up and support of cancer patients and their families. Our program works in partnership with the Durham Regional Cancer Program (based in Oshawa) in an effort to provide cancer services closer to home.
The healthcare team includes:
Drug Access Facilitators
General Practitioner of Oncology
Medical and Radiation Oncologists
Specialized Oncology Nurses
Specialized Oncology Pharmacist and Technicians
Our team also includes a very supportive and knowledgeable volunteer support staff, along with many community partners such as the Canadian Cancer Society, Hospice Peterborough, Peterborough County City Health Unit, and the Peterborough Community Access Centre.
HOW TO REFER TO CANCER CARE
As a patient, its important to remember to complete the Your Symptoms Matter questionnaire within a 24-hour period before any appointment during which you will be seeing your physician. Complete ESAS online.
Look Good Feel Better Program- this program is held the first Tuesday of every month. Call Cancer Care at 705-740-8326 to register for an upcoming session.
Quilts for Cancer – 705-875-5596 or email: email@example.com
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed on statutory holidays
What can I expect during my first visit to Cancer Care?
After you check in for your appointment, you will be called by a member of our healthcare team. In most cases, your initial visit will be to discuss treatment options only and will not include treatment, unless you have been advised otherwise. Ask questions if you do not understand something.
Do you have resources available in the clinic to learn more about my treatment plan?
PRHC’s Cancer Services offers patient resources centre in the clinic’s waiting room. These educational materials are available for patients and their families. Our team will help you:
- Talk about your different emotions and how you are feeling
- Talk about your diagnosis with you and your family/friend
- Provide you with information about diagnosis, treatment and possible side effects
- Coordinate support services as required
- Durham Regional Cancer Centre’s patient portal for information and completion of My Symptoms Matter at home. Completion to be done 24hrs prior to appointment
- Obtain access to MyChart
What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
Please ensure you bring the following items with you to your first appointment:
- All your medications in original packaging or a list of medication (include name of medication, dose, frequency). This includes any non-prescription medications such as Tylenol, Aspirin, vitamins and herbal supplements.
- A list of your medical history (including dates of surgeries, ongoing medical conditions, etc.)
- Your Ontario Health Insurance Card
- A friend or family member
- Pen and paper to keep notes
- A list of questions or concerns you have for your nurse or doctor
- Bring x-rays or CT scans (film or CD) only if you have been instructed to do so
- If you are on oxygen, ensure you have enough for two (2) to three (3) hours