At 7:00 a.m. on June 8, 2008, the patient move into the new Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) began.
On this day ten years ago:
• The new, 715,000 square-foot PRHC opened its doors and began providing patient care.
• 220 hospital patients were transferred from the Hospital Drive site (formerly Peterborough Civic Hospital), the Rogers Street site (formerly St. Joseph’s Hospital) and the Nicholls building into the new Peterborough Regional Health Centre.
• The first patient of the new PRHC, three-week-old Kaydance Lane, came through the doors and was met with great fanfare by hospital staff, physicians and volunteers. Today, Kaydance’s name is well-known in the communities of Peterborough and Kawartha Lakes. She was recently named ambassador for the Easter Seals telethon in Peterborough for the second year in a row.
• Nevaeh Courneyea was the first baby to be born in the new PRHC, at 12:31 p.m. Nevaeh will be celebrating her 10th birthday today.
This milestone in Peterborough history was the culmination of years of planning, construction and preparation by a dedicated team of people, resulting in a hospital facility that will serve patients and families in our region for generations to come.
Today, we celebrate our growth and evolution as a regional hospital, and many significant achievements over the years, including:
- Accreditation with Exemplary Standing (2017)
- International recognition with Meritorious Standing as part of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program of the American College of Surgeons and Physicians (2017)
- Partnership with Peterborough Housing to bring an innovative seniors’ supportive housing initiative to the community and a provincial award for innovative governance related to this project (2017)
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute award for our Bedside Shift Reporting initiative (2017)
- Community partnership to provide naloxone treatment through the Emergency Department (2016)
- Launch of the new, automated laboratory (2016)
- Launch of 24-hour patient visiting (2015)
- The opening of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit (CAPU) (2014)
- The opening of the Norm and Jessie Dysart Radiation Centre (2013)
- Launch of the regional cardiac Code STEMI (cardiac stenting) program (2011)
For further information, please contact:
Peterborough Regional Health Centre
705-743-2121 x. 4259