Health Centre earns Exemplary Standing, meets or exceeds 98.6% of Accreditation standards
(Peterborough, ON) – Accreditation Canada has issued its formal decision letter congratulating Peterborough Regional Health Centre for achieving Accreditation with Exemplary Standing – the highest possible designation for an accredited organization. This is the second consecutive time PRHC has been awarded with this distinction.
Every four years, a team of Accreditation Canada surveyors are invited to PRHC to evaluate more than 2,700 standards based on quality, safety and efficiency. Based on a site visit in early April, Accreditation Canada has advised that PRHC met or exceeded 98.6 per cent of these standards – our highest-ever score.
The Accreditation Canada website describes the Exemplary Standing designation as being awarded to “organizations that go beyond Accreditation Canada’s requirements and demonstrate excellence in quality improvement.”
“This achievement can be attributed to the hard work and dedication of each and every healthcare professional, employee and volunteer at PRHC,” said Dr. Peter McLaughlin, President & CEO. “This year, we have been faced with challenges unlike anything we have seen before. And yet throughout our on-site survey, our healthcare workers continued to demonstrate all of the qualities that make them such a remarkable team of hardworking people who are committed to providing excellent patient care and support.
“I would like to congratulate and thank everyone at PRHC for their ongoing commitment to delivering and supporting excellent care for our patients; this is a remarkable and well-deserved achievement for everything you do,” added Dr. McLaughlin.
The on-site Accreditation survey team specifically commended PRHC for preparing for and participating in the Accreditation program during a global pandemic, as well as:
- Having a committed, engaged, and knowledgeable Board of Directors, strong leadership with a patient-focused, collaborative approach to care, and healthcare professionals, staff and volunteers who are engaged in quality improvement and proud of the care and service they provide.
- Ongoing engagement with our Patient Experience Steering Committee; their expertise and insights ensure that the patient voice continues to be at the forefront of our discussions and decision-making.
- Promoting a comprehensive Seniors’ Care Strategy and working with community partners to bring about affordable seniors’ housing; an initiative that has been recognized and awarded by the Ontario Hospital Association.
- Our collaborative relationships with our community and healthcare partners.
- The implementation of a new, regional clinical information system, which has introduced additional communication tools for serving patients.
“Accreditation with Exemplary Standing is a clear measure of the excellent work being done at PRHC every day, even in these challenging times,” said Louis O’Brien, Chair of the PRHC Board of Directors. “I would like to congratulate and thank every one of the hospital’s leaders, healthcare professionals, staff and volunteers for the tremendous amount of work you do to ensure patients and their families receive the highest possible quality of care, every day.”
For more information: Michelene Ough | Director, Communications | firstname.lastname@example.org