$2 million investment into leading-edge “one-touch” technology means safer, more efficient, more reliable patient care
Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) is pleased to announce the launch of our newly-automated medical laboratory.
Installation of leading-edge “one-touch” automation technology in the chemistry and hematology areas of the lab is expected to pay for itself over a period of five years through increased capacity, greater efficiency and faster turnaround times.
The $2 million investment into upgrading and automating PRHC’s medical lab was initiated in the summer of 2015 and wrapped up in February 2016.
“We are thrilled to have completed this major upgrade to our lab after months of planning, preparation and implementation,” says Bernard Schaan, Manager, Laboratory Services at PRHC. “Automated technology will provide safer, more efficient and more reliable patient care. We expect it will decrease test turnaround times by 26 per cent, which means faster diagnoses for patients as well.”
Automation will also reduce handling of patient samples. Bedside identification technology means each sample will be tagged with a barcode linked directly to the patient it came from.
“Introducing automated lab technology to Peterborough Regional Health Centre puts us on the right track as a regional health centre,” says Dr. Peter McLaughlin, Interim President & CEO. “I am very proud of our lab leadership and our team of 100 lab professionals, who have worked tremendously hard to bring this project to fruition, and who will continue providing exceptional care, enhanced with the addition of this updated technology.”
“Today’s event is a testimony to the leadership of PRHC’s Board, clinical and administrative leadership, and front-line staff who daily demonstrate their dedication to the health and wellbeing of the residents of Peterborough City and County and the surrounding regions,” said Stewart Sutley, Senior Director, Central East LHIN. “The launch of the automated Medical Lab is one of the foundational pieces that forms the basis for creating an integrated system of care which has been the focus for the LHIN since its inception.”
PRHC lab by the numbers:
- The lab at PRHC performs 1.5 million vital diagnostic tests annually across the hospital and to several partner hospitals in the Central East LHIN
- These lab test results lead to 85 per cent of patient diagnoses
- Our 19,000-square-foot lab operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year
- The lab employs a team of 100 highly-educated and skilled professionals, including six pathologists
- Our specialty lab services include: chemistry, hematology, surgical pathology, biochemistry, microbiology, cytology and electrocardiography
- In 2012, PRHC’s laboratory received full Accreditation for four years, based on meeting or exceeding 486 professional standards set out by our provincial peers
- In May of this year, the lab will once again undergo the accreditation process to meet these rigorous standards for excellent patient care